The College of Coastal Georgia BBA with a concentration in Accounting prepares students for employment as professional accountants or other business careers. This concentration also serves as a foundation toward preparation for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination and for graduate studies in business or law.
The Accounting concentration is a challenging program of study intended to prepare students to become experts in the fields of accounting or business and is useful for a variety of student objectives. The value contributed by individuals educated in these fields focuses on their ability to participate in the analysis and decision making process. Through the selection of accounting and other directed elective courses students are able to tailor their program of study based on their individual career goals.
Career fields that rely on an accounting and business educational foundation include banking and insurance in the finance industries, purchasing, planning and estimating in manufacturing and service organizations, and traditional accounting and finance positions for organizations in the private, public, or non-profit sectors of the economy. The following is a partial list of positions accounting graduates may find available to them in the job market:
- Staff accountants in private business, non-profit organizations, or government agencies,
- Manager and director level positions such as Controllers, Director of Accounting, etc...,Auditors in private, government, and non-profit sectors,
- Budget or financial analysts,
- Cost estimators,
- Treasury and investment managers,
- Personal financial advisors,
- IRS agents and examiners,
- Management analysts (i.e., consultants),
- Top senior level executives such as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
There are several professional certifications or licenses available to college graduates with strong accounting backgrounds.They include the following:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA),
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA),
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA),
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA),
- Certified Government Finance Manager (CGFM),
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA),
- Certified Financial Planner designation (CFP).
This list is not exhaustive as there are many other more specialized designations depending on a student's career goals and objectives. Students beginning this concentration are encouraged to give thought to their career goals in anticipation of both their course selection and the identification of an internship.