Technology Roadmap for Students - Getting Started
We are so excited that you have decided to join the Mariner family! As you prepare to begin your time with the College of Coastal Georgia, you will undoubtedly have lots of questions. At the same time, you will have tons of information passed along while you try and acclimate to college life. In an effort to give you a resource that you can come back to without having to remember every detail, the Technology Services department has put together a step-by-step guide to help you be successful. As technology and situtations change, this roadmap will be updated appropriately.
Things you can do before you arrive
Accessing the Portal
The portal is the main gateway to most applications and resources for students, faculty and staff. At the College of Coastal Georgia, your student ID is the username you use to log in to most applications including the portal.
As a new student, your default password is CCGammddyy - the “mmddyy” represents the numbers of your 6-digit birthday.
TO-DO: Visit the portal by going to: https://portal.ccga.edu
TO-DO: Setup the Password Management tool.
Passwords are increasingly easy to compromise. They can often be stolen, guessed, or hacked — you might not even know someone is accessing your account. Two-factor authentication adds a second layer of security to your online accounts. Verifying your identity using a second factor (like your phone or one-time-password token) prevents anyone but you from logging in, even if they know your password.
TO-DO: Sign up for DUO (Multifactor Authentication) by going to the Multi-Factor Auth application inside the portal.
At Coastal, your student email is the official means of communication. Therefore, it is important to ensure that you have access to it and that you review it daily.
Click here to learn more about your email at Coastal.
TO-DO: Login to your CCGA email via the portal
SUGGESTION/OPTIONAL: Add your Coastal Email to your phone
The Mariner Mobile App
The College of Coastal Georgia mobile app is a great tool to stay connected. Download the app and see campus wall, students nearby, campus maps, social scheduling, courses, campus events and more.
COAST is a web service that gives you direct access to your student records here at the College of Coastal Georgia. It not only provides you information, but it also allows you perform actions such as registering for classes or making a payment on your account. COAST is one of the applications accessible from the portal. Click here for more information about COAST.
TO-DO: Visit COAST by going to the portal and clicking on the COAST application.
The Helpdesk is the place to go if you are having issues or if you have questions related to technology. Contact the Technology Services Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 912-279-5760. You can also visit our office on the second floor of the Andrews Building located at the Brunswick Campus, or CAM 105 at the Camden Center.
Things you should do after you enroll in courses
In order to help the College prepare for your arrival, you are required to complete the Commit2Coastal Enrollment Confirmation process each term you plan to enroll. The process is easy and only takes a few minutes.
TO-DO: Complete the Commit2Coastal Enrollment Confirmation Process here
At the College of Coastal Georgia, you will be able to request a change of major, submit your graduation application, and submit other important requests in areas like registration, financial aid and others through electronic form. To see all the available forms, go to your portal and click on the Student Forms tab.
DegreeWorks is a web tool that provides real-time advice for students and their advisors to monitor the student’s progress towards graduation.
The program includes the degree requirements such as core courses and program courses that are needed for your major by areas. Your worksheet will automatically default to your official major, but you can change the worksheet by selecting “what-if”. Class and major information is updated every 24 hours, so it will take a day to see how newly scheduled classes appear in your worksheet.
TO-DO: Visit DegreewWorks by going to the portal and clicking on the DegreeWorks app.
Minimum Recommended Equipment
- Windows 10
- Processor: 2.0 GHz or faster, at least 2-core
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Hard Drive: 128GB HDD, but SSD is best
- Browsers: Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Firefox (we recommend Chrome)
- One of the three most recent versions (macOS Mojave, macOS Catalina, and macOS Big Sur)
- Processor: 2.0 GHz or faster, at least 2-core
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Hard Drive: 128GB HDD, but SSD is best
- Browsers: Latest version of Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox (we recommend Chrome)
We HIGHLY discourage the purchase of Chromebooks, stream books, and netbooks due to the inability to download programs required for most classes.
If you do not have a personal device that meets these specifications, you can borrow one from Technology Services. Laptops are available on a first-come first-serve basis. To borrow a laptop from Technology Services, please submit a request here.
USG Technology Store
The USG Technology Store offers the University System of Georgia’s Faculty, Staff and Students affordable, brand-name software and services for their work or personal computers. Click here to visit the USG Technology Store.
Things you can do after classes start
Microsoft OneDrive is a storage solution to easily save and share your files. OneDrive is available for all currently enrolled students and it is accessible anywhere, on any device with internet access. There are three ways to access OneDrive.
- Through your Portal: Go to your portal and click on the OneDrive app
- Through Office.com: Sign into Office.com with your student email
- Downloading the OneDrive App: Go to the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store to download the OneDrive app on any of your personal devices
As a College of Coastal Georgia Student, you have access to download Microsoft Office on up to 5 devices.
RECOMMENDATION: Follow the directions found here to download Microsoft Office on your personal device.
Office 365 is the web-based version of the Microsoft Office suite accessed through a web browser. To access Office 365 applications such as Word, Excel, etc, go to your Office 365 Email from the portal, and click on the top left corner. You will see a list of available applications.
Brightspace (D2L) is the learning management system for all courses at the College of Coastal Georgia. Your courses will open automatically on the first day of classes.
Once you get into your course you should:
Read the syllabus. Pay attention to the instructor's name and contact information, textbooks, grades, and major assignments.
Take a look at the course calendar and mark any important dates in your phone or your personal calendar. You can access the calendar from either the course home page or by clicking on Content.
Look for additional instructions from your instructor in the form of either an email, discussion posting, or item in the content area, and get started. Click here for more information about Brightspace (D2L)
TO-DO: Visit Brightspace (D2L) by going to the portal, and clicking on the D2L app.
Video Conferencing solutions, such as Collaborate Ultra and Microsoft Teams, are used across campus. Collaborate Ultra is used in many online courses for synchronous class sessions, as well as the ATTIC, Supplemental Instructors, and Writing Center for online tutoring support. Microsoft Teams is used by some faculty for office hours, and some student life events.
TO-DO: Visit the Teams page for more information.
Tutoring and Academic Support
Be proactive and take advantage of the available academic support! Stop by the Library to visit the ATTIC and the Writing Center, or visit Find a Tutor or The Writing Center for instructions on how to connect with a tutor or a writing coach. If you need help after hours please remember that you also have 24/7 access to Tutor.com by clicking the Tutor.com link at the top of the D2L Homepage.
Things you can do once you are on campus
WAVE - Wireless network access
To access the internet on campus from your personal device(s) you will connect to the Wi-Fi network WAVE.
- On your device, select the WAVE network for the Wi-Fi network.
- Enter your 920# number and password for the credentials when prompted.
- You may be prompted to trust a certificate when connecting for the first time.
For device specific instructions, click here
Eduroam is a free wireless service available at the College of Coastal Georgia. Eduroam allows all Coastal students, faculty and staff to get wireless service when visiting participating eduroam institutions in the U.S. and abroad.
Many higher education institutions in the United States are eduroam participants. Eduroam is also available at educational institutions and research facilities in more than 85 countries.
Eduroam is a wireless network option available throughout most of the College with the exception of residence halls. All Coastal students, faculty and staff have access to eduroam while on campus with their wireless devices.
To access eduroam, students, faculty and staff must use the same credentials they login to the portal with. When your password for the portal is changed, your password to access eduroam is also updated.
Eduroam allows students, faculty and staff of participating eduroam schools to get Internet access across institutions using their school’s credentials.
For example, a Coastal faculty member visiting at UGA, which is also an eduroam participant, could use their Coastal credentials (email@example.com) to log in to UGA’s wireless network on campus. Likewise, a UGA faculty member could do the same with their credentials when they visit the Coastal campus.
Mariner Card (MAC)
The Mariner Access Card (MAC) is the official College of Coastal Georgia identification card and the key to the campus. With it, you can access services, attend events, and make purchases on campus without the hassle of carrying cash. Click here to learn more about the MAC.
The College of Coastal Georgia has computer labs located on the Brunswick Campus and the Camden Center as follows:
All computer labs have printing capabilities (black and white only). The Library Labs also have scanners available for students who may need them.
If you experience technical difficulties while in one of our labs please see the lab assistant on duty, or call the Technology Services Help Desk at (912) 279-5760.
PaperCut is a print management software that allows you to print from computer labs as well as from your own personal device.
TO-DO: Visit the PaperCut site here
In addition to the apps already mentioned, you will have access to the following important applications through your portal:
- Coastal Careerlink: Coastal Careerlink is CCGA’s one stop shop for all things career related. Students can browse through and apply for hundreds of full-time, part-time and internship opportunities, research employer profiles, create resumes and cover letters using the Resume Builder, practice interview skills with the interactive online Mock Interview Module and create an online portfolio showcasing their educational and professional talents- all in one powerful tool.
- Course Evaluations: Every semester, students have the opportunity to evaluate their courses via SmartEvals. This system provides an anonymous evaluation survey which will provide feedback to faculty about their courses. Prior to Final Exams, students will be notified by email and encouraged to complete their course evaluations. Students may complete the course evaluations by following the links in the notification emails or by accessing the Course Evaluation application in the portal.
- Everfi: New students to Coastal Georgia are required to complete AlcoholEdu, Sexual Assault Prevention for Undergraduates (SAPU), and/or Sexual Assault Prevention for Graduates (SAPG) by EverFi. These interactive web courses are designed to empower students to make healthier decisions related to alcohol and other drugs and prepares students to recognize and respond to sexual assault.
- Focus2: Focus2 guides students through reliable assessments including Work Interests, Personality, Skills, Values and Leisure Activities and matches results with CCGA majors and future career options including salary, growth projections and working conditions to help students make a purposeful choice in their majors and careers.
- Health Center: The Student Health Center portal allows students to schedule medical appointments and upload immunization records.
- Qualtrics: Qualtrics is a powerful cloud-based survey tool for building and distributing surveys and analyzing responses. Student use is limited to coursework/research under the supervision of a faculty member or student activities under the supervision of Student Life staff. To learn more about Qualtrics, click here.
- Mariner Success Crew: Confused? Need help? Don’t know where to start? Wish you had a HELP button? We are here for you! The Mariner Success Crew is a network of support that is Just One Click Away! To get connected, simply click on one of your crew members from Your Mariner Success Crew section in the portal. Your crew consists of COMPASS Career and Academic Advisor, a Faculty Advisor (after the Freshman year), staff from Academic Support and Tutoring, a Campus Life Advisor, and your Financial Support advisor.
- Scholarship Applications: More than 85% of the students who attend Coastal Georgia receive some type of financial aid. This aid is funded through federal, state, outside scholarships and institutional scholarship funds. This app allows students to complete one online application per academic year. After the application is submitted, students are automatically matched with scholarships for which they qualify.
- Student Housing: The Student Housing Portal is the central location for students to apply to live in the residence halls. In addition, current students living in the residence halls can submit maintenance requests through this portal.
- Transcript Plus: Application used to order copies of your official transcript to be sent to other schools or agencies. Electronic transcripts will be processed normally within 30 minutes of your completed order; 24/7.
Visit the Portal to learn more.