Federal Direct Student Loan InstructionsThe College of Coastal Georgia participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program. The Direct Loan Program is offered by the US Department of Education and it provides students with a simple, inexpensive way to borrow money to pay for college expenses.
Although student loans can be helpful in funding your education, we strongly suggest that you exhaust all other methods to fund your education before you decide to borrow. Remember - LOANS MUST BE REPAID. Repayment begins six months after you graduate and/or are no longer enrolled at least half-time.
Applying for a Student LoanOnce you have completed your FAFSA application and submitted any additional requested documents, follow the instructions below to apply for a student loan:
- Complete entrance counseling at www.studentloans.gov.
- Sign a promissory note. The promissory note is a legally binding agreement that contains the terms and conditions of the loan. It explains how and when the loan should be repaid. By signing it, you are promising to repay your student loan. Keep the promissory note and any other loan documents in a safe place until the loan is repaid. The promissory note can be completed at www.studentloans.gov.
- Click here to log in and then complete the Federal Direct Loan Electronic form found on the bottom left hand corner of the Home Tab.
Questions? Email the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Helpful Student Loan Links
- Direct Loan Students Page
- Direct Loan Repayment Plans
- Direct Loan Online Account
- Your current Student Loan Balance
- Finaid.org Loan information page
- Entrance/Exit counseling
- Federal Student Aid Gateway
- Federal Loans vs. Private Loans